I look at Winter Break as the perfect time to catch up with all the sleep, reading, and relaxation that I deprive myself of during the first semester. And because I don’t want to feel like I completely waste the month and are unproductive, I like to make a list of goals for myself. Accomplishing these goals, whether they are big or small, is a great way for me to be able to say that I didn’t waste away during my Winter Break. So, without further ado, here’s my 2017-2018 Winter Break Goals List!
- Step up my skin-care routine. I think it was either my junior or senior year of high school when my mother randomly brought out home two Lush products for my skin because I was having trouble with oily skin in some places on my face and super dry skin in other places. From that day on, I was meticulous in making sure that every night before I went to bed, no matter if I was exhausted or terribly ill, I did my skin care routine. I noticed a difference, and I liked the difference, so I tried to bridge that skincare routine over when I went away to college. I’m now finishing up my first semester of my senior year in college, I can honestly say that I fell off the wagon. My skincare routine is a process that takes about ten to fifteen minutes and requires water and sink, and let me be blunt: I despise the bathrooms in my residence hall, so I have no desire to awkwardly stand in them for fifteen minutes as I complete my skin care routine. So, naturally, I’ve fallen out of it and only do maybe a face mask every once in a while when I can remember. I’m challenging myself to revamp my skincare routine over winter break, and then I’m doubly challenging myself to keep it up during my last semester.
- Revamp my hair-care routine for the winter. When I’m away at school, I swear all my usual routines that keep me sane and feeling grounded go into hibernation, and this includes taking care of my curls. And this gets even worse during the winter. So, during the winter break, I’ll be researching methods to keep my hair healthy and moisturized in the cold climate.
- DRINK LOTS OF WATER. When I drink a lot of water, I feel AMAZING. Cold, crisp water taste amazing, and I don’t care what anyone says. If you don’t like the taste of cold water, I don’t trust you.
- Write once a day. Writing once a day is something that I’ve been getting better at doing this month, and I’m proud of myself. It helps that I’m currently working on a new play, revising the script for my senior project for a play festival in the summer, and also not super stressed because my commitments have died down for the semester, so my creative juices are flowing more than ever right now. Winter Break is going to be a time of intense relaxation and low academic or theatrical commitments, so I expect my habit of writing of everyday to increase.
- Read SO MUCH FICTION. I know that some people stick their nose up at fiction books, especially the genres of Young Adult, Romance, and Fantasy, but these three genres are my absolute favorite. I could get lost in the YA, Romance, and Fantasy sections in any bookstore, and I began to feel weird a few weeks ago when I thought about reading. Lately, I’ve been reading plays for class, which is cool because Theatre is my major or whatever, but I realized that I missed and had fallen out of reading for pleasure. So, I’m bringing a TON of fiction books that I had just forgotten about home, with the goal of reading two books a week. Who knows? Maybe I’ll do a video on what I’m planning on reading over the Winter Break. Stay tuned!
- Watch a lot of YouTube. I find solace in the depths of YouTube, and it’s very easy for me to fall down the myriad of rabbit holes. Watching other regular-degular people do weird, random, and mundane things on the internet is weird when you call it what it is, but it’s weirdly therapeutic for me. Also, as a content creator, I gain a lot of inspiration and motivation watching the videos of other people. Along with watching a ton of YouTube, I’ll be catching up on some of my favorite shows since a lot of them having taken a winter hiatus until January. And who knows, maybe I’ll also watch some of those movies I’ve had on my list on Netflix since the damn of time.
If you’re a student in any capacity (or a teacher!), what are you trying to accomplish during this Winter Break? Let me know in the comments section below!
’m on Twitter (@_AhtiyaL_), Instagram (@_ahtiyal_), and Facebook (Ahtiya L). Follow my accounts and like my Facebook page! For my latest YouTube video “TASTING ASIAN SNACKS (feat. Chelsea Nicoleee),” click here! And if you support the cause of promoting and showcasing bloggers and vloggers of color, follow Creators Of Color (@CREATORSofC_RT) on Twitter! Please and thank you!
P.S. I’ve changed my content release schedule a bit. From now on, I’ll be (hopefully) releasing content on Sundays and Wednesdays, alternating between two articles and two videos a week. Head over to my YouTube channel (link above) on Sunday for another video, and check back in a week and a half for the next article!